Bataan Memorial Hike:
- A group of people hike up to Mission Peak to reflect upon history
- This is to represent the Bataan Death March in spring of 1942.
- This is known as the march that leads to one’s demise.
- The Bataan Death March in 1942 was when the United States and Filipino forces fought the Japanese Imperial Army.
- Filipino’s who were prisoners had to do a 60 miles walk to the Japanese POW camp.
- The conditions were bad as famine, hygiene, weather conditions and abuse made the trip difficult.
- People who could not continue faced death and the floor underneath them was their burial.
- Akbayan held this marching event to honor and cherish the fallen that have sacrificed their lives for the United States.
- An outside activity involving a group of people with candles held outside during a sunset.
- This activity is used to support a cause or anything major for a person or a group of people who can relate to.
- Akbayan has done a Candlelight Vigil in the month of October for the Filipino Community.
- October is the month for Filipinos because it is their History month hence why they participate in a Candlelight Vigil.
- The support is mostly regarding the righteous deeds of World War II Veterans.
- There are also other activates to this event such as historic education regarding Filipinos, spoken word, songs and special guests.
- Other organizations around in SJSU also help set up the event.
Raap (Raising Awareness Amongst Pilipinos)2006 | 2014